Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Book Review: Rhapsodic (The Bargainer Book 1) By: Laura Thalassa

I started this blog well over a month ago but am finally able to put up my first book review. Why the long wait? Well because there is a graveyard of books that I started and discarded. Nothing was working for me. Most of them made me roll my eyes or scream in frustration over poorly written/edited sentences, stale over-used tropes, badly written romantic scenes....well the list goes on. So I was delighted when I gave this book a read. FINALLY something that I could at least finish.

Rhapsodic is the tale of a siren named Callypso Lillis. Callypso aka Callie has racked up over 300 magic IOU's to the Bargainer. Till now the Bargainer has never made her repay but suddenly the Bargainer is back in her life after disappearing for over 7 years. He is now calling in her debts and it all starts with a kiss. Soon the Bargainer is bringing Callie to the Otherworld to help solve a mystery.

Ok let me just say I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVED this book! I'm a slow reader so usually it takes me a week to finish a book. This book was done in two and half days! I stayed up late into the night till I could no longer keep my eyes open. I obsessed when I was in work that I couldn't wait to get home and read just one more chapter. This book....oh the feels....the feels.

This book is romance done right. Lots and lots of sexual tension and lots and lots of romantic tension. I'm so glad to find an author who doesn't feel the need to have every other scene be a sex scene but still understands how to intersperse sexiness through out the whole story. Thalassa does such an amazing job with portraying the longing of both characters.

I love that this book spends part of it's time showing the past when Callie first met the Bargainer and how she ended up racking so many IOUs. The progression of their relationship was wonderful including his sense of it being wrong to love someone as young as her. Thalassa did a great job of showing how Callie has changed and matured in the time span that the Bargainer was away. She is a stronger person but still feels the demons of the past.

This book....oh this book was so great. This is definitely going on my pile of books to read again. It ends with a bit of a cliffhanger in that the mystery is not completely resolved. But it isn't a cliffhanger that I find leaves me frustrated. Instead I'm sooooo looking forward to the next book in the series which is supposed to come out some time in 2017. I will check out some of her other books in the meantime.

A solid 5 out of 5 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment