Thursday, February 9, 2017

Children's Book Review: The Big Honey Hunt by Stan and Jan Berenstain

I've read a huge number of the Berenstain books...like well over 20 of them. But I had never read the very first one. The one that started it all. So after some searching I was able to find a copy and happily dug right in.

The bears are all out of honey. Mother Bear sends out Small Bear and Father Bear to buy more honey but Father Bear decides to hunt for the honey.

The first thing that stands out is the different artwork. The bears look slightly different from what I and millions of other children grew up reading and are familiar with. It is rougher but has some of the elements that are recognizable in what they ultimately would become. Also the names are different as most of us know the bears as Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Brother Bear and Sister Bear. There was no Sister Bear and Brother Bear was called Small Bear.

The rhyming and the story were great and there were moments that had me chuckling. There wasn't a major moral lesson like I'm used to. It was just a cute story.

I enjoyed it a lot and would read it again for sure.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment