Friday, September 8, 2017

Picture Book Review: Lola at the Library by Anna McQuinn Illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw

Who doesn't remember being a child and getting excited when it was that day of the week that you got to go to the library? Ok still is like that for me as an adult. That day of the week when I was a kid was Saturday. My mom who was also an avid reader would take me ever single Saturday and I always loaded up on books. I always took out the maximum amount that the library would let me and sometimes even convinced the one librarian to let me sneak in one or two more. 

Lola is up bright and early because today is Tuesday and that means she gets to go to the library. Lola loves the library and is ready to get a whole bunch of new books to read.

Let's admit it that all of us bibliophiles can totally relate to Lola. There is nothing more magical than a library/bookstore. All those books and worlds to explore or revisit. It just puts you in such a contented place. I loved seeing a younger child who is excited about reading but isn't one of those advanced readers like Matilda. She is just a normal little girl who loves to read. There is something refreshing in that as a lot of times book lovers are portrayed as reading "the classics" by age 3. Lola reads picture books and she especially reads the ones about things she likes like bears and shoes. 

The illustrations were wonderful and do a great job of portraying just how much Lola loves books. The rapt attention she during the story time reading is obvious.

My favorite part was after the library when her mother has a cappuccino and shares a spoonful of the foam. The reason is that it reminds me of when my stepdaughter was little. She loved it when my husband would give her spoonful of his coffee. She would beg for more. I don't drink coffee so there was none to be had from me. But she didn't mind having a sip or two of my tea. This part just brought up feelings of nostalgia for me.

5 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely review, thanks. So nice to see someone who sees what we were hoping people would see - Lola's enthusiasm, her love of books... Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete