Friday, December 30, 2016

Book Review: Elephant Dance: Memories of India by Theresa Heine Illustrated by Sheila Moxley

Living in my part of New Jersey we have a fairly diverse population. Among the many cultures that I and my family are exposed to on a daily basis are Indians. I've met so many first and second generation Indian Americans. Each have their own story but so many of them are still so tied to their family that both live here and back in India. So this book was a delightful read for me.

Elephant Dance is about a young boy named Ravi who is fascinated by his grandfather's stories of India. His grandfather weaves vivid stories that spark Ravi's imagination.

I loved this book. The descriptions that Ravi's grandfather tells of his homeland are so amazing that even without the pictures in the book you can just see the things he describes right in your head. My favorite description was of the sun and his grandfather describing it like tiger. While I could totally see it in my head the illustrations that went along with it were so wonderful. The deep color palate worked so well this picture book.

What I loved most of all was that while this book was about India there was a deeper meaning in the book. It was also about the love of a child and his grandparent. The time spent with family is so meaningful and the time that Ravi and his sister spent with their grandfather is precious. This is the kind of time that you look back at when you are older and smile with fondness. No doubt an adult Ravi will look back fondly on his grandfather and the patience and care he took to explain how things were back in India.

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment