Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Historic Authors I Wish I Could Meet

Broke and the Bookish
As a Doctor Who fan I naturally wish I could hop in a TARDIS and travel through space and time. But till the day that The Doctor (please be David Tennant) graces me with his presence I can only dream. Here are some historically famous authors I wish I could spend an afternoon tea with. 

1: Gotta give some love to William Shakespeare. A master at manipulating the English language is a favorite frustration of many an English Lit major. 

Favorite Quote: "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

2. Very few can argue the genius of Mark Twain...yes he often shows up on the banned books lists but his stories live on and always will. 

Favorite Quote: "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. "

3. The queen of mystery is without question Agatha Christie. I went through a period in middle school where I read through many a Hercule Poirot book.

Favorite Quote: "An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her"

4. The Great Gatsby is in my top 5 all time favorite books. So of course I have to include F. Scott Fitzgerald. 

Favorite Quote: "That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're no lonely and isolate from anyone. You belong."

5. Perhaps the most famous children's book author is Dr. Seuss. Who wouldn't love to sit down and chat with him?

Favorite Quote: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."




6. I went through a Little House on the Prairie phase when I was in elementary school. I watched the tv show and read the books. So I have to put Laura Ingalls Wilder on the list.

Favorite Quote: "Home is the nicest word there is."

7. Roald Dahl is my all time favorite children's book author. Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, The BFG....well you get the point.

Favorite Quote: "The books transported her to new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives."

8. Last but not least (not a 10 week for me) is Lewis Carroll. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are some of my all time favorite books.  And my favorite Lewis Carroll quote is my all time favorite quote period.

Favorite Quote: "One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter.""






22 comments:

  1. Wow! I definitely didn't think of Laura Ingalls Wilder, but she would be so amazing to meet! She had so much strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, meeting Dr Seuss would be awesome! I love his stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I bet meeting Mark Twain would be interesting.
    Here is my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling through time with David Tennant as the Doctor to meet Agatha Christie? I think I would die from happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agatha Christie and Laura Ingalls Wilder!! I would love to meet them too! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great choices! I would absolutely LOVE to meet Roald Dahl. I read quite a few of his books back when I was in fourth or fifth grade. They were such fun books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are quite a few historic authors I would love to meet like Agatha Christie and Harper Lee!

    This week I choose to focus on the eleven authors I can't believe I've already met! Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/03/top-ten-tuesday-ten-authors-i-cant.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your idea of using the TARDIS. (I would want it to be David Tennant too!) Great picks on here. I would add Oscar Wilde, I love his writing. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb list. Excellent.

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/top-ten-tuesday-the-authors-id-most-like-to-meet/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! Shakespeare is the best! I'm hoping to read The Great Gatsby soon! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you took the prompt and ran with it. Wonderful list. By the way, Dave Pilkey is a very shy person. He would be a good author for your son to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I totally agree with Shakespeare and Agatha Christie. Two classic authors I love. I'd have to add Oscar Wilde to my list too!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an amazing list of authors! I would add Tolkien and Lloyd Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many wonderful authors on this list. And I love that we have Shakespeare in common. THAT conversation with him would be amazing. And probably a little bewildering for him. Good call on Agatha Christie too. And Then There Were None is one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, really cool list! I would like to have some tea with these people too! I didn't think in this direction I went with the alive ones, but they totally would have been on list had gone in this direction. You nailed it.
    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice list - I like the quotes from each of them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you included quotes in your list, and that your list is the ideal list for an elementary school student. It gives them an idea of all the great classic authors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome list and I love the quotes. I would like to meet Poe but I'm sure he's probably weirder than I think so it would be an interesting meeting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhhh! A good number of these would go on my "dead authors I'd like to meet if I could" list! I'll have to find an excuse to make that list, and soon!

    I love that you added a "favourite" quote portion to yours as well! Great post!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, getting to meet Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl and Lewis Carroll would be amazing! Can you imagine getting those three into a room together?!

    ReplyDelete