Monday, March 20, 2017

Picture Book Review: The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper

This is one of those books that I think everyone grew up reading or at least have a vague knowledge of. I have a very hazy memory of a school librarian (couldn't tell you her name) reading this to my kindergarten class. I just remember her showing us the pictures as she chanted, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" and "I thought I could, I thought could." I remember how she sounded just like how she sounded just like the chug chug chugging of a train when she did it.

The Little Train that Could is a picture book where a train carrying toys and goodies for the children of a village breaks down before making it over the hill to the village. Many trains pass by refusing to help but finally a little blue train agrees to help.

I haven't read this or heard the whole tale since....well since that day all those years ago back in kindergarten. Sure I know the story (who doesn't!). The part that I didn't remember was the other trains who refused to help. I think we all remember the train going over the hill and chanting away but who remembers those other jerky trains who refuse to help?

The obvious moral of the story is that if you think you can and you show even just a bit of kindness you can overcome anything. A nice morale to teach and it is nice to show kids that sometimes you have to work just a tiny bit harder to get what you want.

I really loved the watercolors in this. It gives a softer edge to the pictures that works so well with smaller children.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment