Thursday, September 7, 2017

Picture Book Review: Doctor De Soto by William Steig

So I had never heard of this book nor this author before. When I looked into other books he wrote I found out that he is the one who wrote Shrek. Though from what little (and I do mean little) research I've done the movie is very loosely based on the book. Either way that baby is getting added to my to be read pile. But this isn't about Shrek. This is about Doctor De Soto.

Doctor De Soto is a dentist. This mouse takes care of patients of all sizes. But his one rule is to not take dangerous patients like cats. One day a fox comes to his office with a bad tooth and begs Doctor De Soto to fix his tooth. Doctor De Soto agrees but what can he do to keep the fox from gobbling him up?

I really enjoyed this one. For some reason children's literature loves to make foxes out to be bad. Not all foxes are bad. It is just their nature just like wolves, cats, sharks etc. There is this idea that carnivores should just starve...anyway I digress. 

This was a cute story with Doctor De Soto coming up with a sly (like a fox) solution to keeping that fox from snapping him up in those mighty jaws of his. The illustrations were great and the length of this book is great for a bedtime story.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment