Friday, September 8, 2017

Picture Book Review: The Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck by Beatrix Potter

So after reading Peter Rabbit yesterday I decided to read another Beatrix Potter book and chose this one. I had never read this one before but had a vague recollection of my husband telling me he read this book to my stepdaughter and that there was something about the book that he didn't like. 

Jemima Puddle Duck is a simpleton who wants to lay some eggs. She comes across a fox who lets her lay her eggs in his feather filled woodshed. Will someone save from Jemima and her eggs from this crafty fox.

Hey, look yet another children's story where the fox is the bad guy. Though in this case with the stupidity of Jemima who would even be upset if the fox had eaten her.

Now then let's talk about that thing that I realized right away why my husband was shocked all those years ago....ummm yeah....uh...I can't even begin to say anything about it. I was rather shocked myself. This is a children's book but it take a very very VERY dark turn at the end. I honestly don't know how I feel about it.  Up until that end I was really enjoying the story. I loved all the way up till it mentioned the fox hounds. Knowing what I know of them I knew that (spoiler) this was the literally end for the fox. But I read on. Ok so the fox dies. But then the fox hounds eat her eggs. Then at the end she finally does have some babies but only 4 of them hatch.


Whoosh...I really really don't know how I feel on this. I still love love love the classic illustrations. I just don't know what I think of that ending. I think it might be a bit hard for children but it might even be harder for adults to process. As far as rating this I'm a bit stumped. This is a book that makes you think a bit and does do something to your emotions. Does that make it bad? Does making you face harsh realities make it inappropriate for a children's picture book? I don't think it does. Death is something that happens all the time and we can't just avoid it.


Sooo....I think I'm at 4 out of 5 stars on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment