Thursday, September 7, 2017

Picture Book Review: The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

Several years ago my mother gave my stepdaughter a box set of all the Beatrix Potter books. We never read all of them but did read a good portion of them. At my sister's baby shower I gave her those books (plus a bunch more of my stepdaughter's baby books). Little did I know but at that time I was also pregnant (I would have kept a few of those books for my son had I known). But you can't change the past and I certainly wasn't ever going to ask for them back. So I had to search out a new copy for my son.

Unlike his sisters Peter Rabbit is a naughty little bunny who doesn't listen to his mother. She tells him to keep out of Mr. McGregor's garden. Peter, after eating too much, ends up with a belly ache. In search of some parsley he is seen by Mr. McGregor and is soon on the run from him and lost in the garden. 

Peter Rabbit is so iconic. There are some literary figures that you can just mention by name and people immediately know what you are talking about. Our little rabbit is one of them. The illustrations are beyond charming and have that nostalgic feeling that draws you in. The theme is mature I wouldn't say it is something that children can't handle. After all children all over the world have been reading these books for well over 100 years. 

4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment