Thursday, June 29, 2017

SOR Children's Book Review: The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl Illustrated by Quentin Blake

I grabbed this from a pile of books I've had since my own childhood. Roald Dahl was always a favorite of mine as a kid so it is always a delight to go back and reread the books I read as a kid. This is on the 1001 book list and being read for SOR.

Enormous Crocodile is a vile evil huge greedy croc. This nasty crocodile has plans to eat some nice plump children. Despite being admonished by several animals he meets on the way he isn't deterred. However, these animals come back later to stop each and every single one of his dastardly plans to eat up a child or two.

I honestly didn't remember much about this book from my childhood so I don't think it was one of my favorite of his. But I do know I read it at some point since I own the book. But I guess 30 some years later it is understandable that I don't remember it. 

The illustrations are the very recognizable ones that you see through most of Dahl's books and that is very comforting. The ever present humor in them and the nostalgia makes me smile.

The story itself is funny and I love that as always Dahl doesn't candy coat things for children. He knows that they like gruesome horrible things but he does it with his unique style that makes it acceptable for kids to read but still gives a bit of a naughty delight. 

3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment