Wednesday, June 28, 2017

SOR Picture Book Review: The Duck in the Gun by Joy Cowley Illustrated by Edward Sorell

First off there are apparently at least two different versions of this book. By versions I mean the illustrations. The one I read was illustrated by Edward Sorell. The other version is illustrated by Robyn Belton. Second I had never heard of this book before but it was on the 1001 list so I had to check it out for SOR.

A general and his men are off to war. As they get ready to fire their gun (a cannon) at the town they discover a duck in the gun. The duck refuses to leave as it has a nest full of eggs it is sitting on in the gun. The general carrying a white flag visits the town to ask for the use of their gun. While both sides wait for the duck to leave the giant gun the men do work for the town and the general gets to know the prime minister's daughter.

Ok, why oh why has no one told me about this book before. No Seriously! Why!?! This book was AMAZING! The humor in it was great and I found myself laughing which had my husband asking me what was so funny. In the end, I ended up reading the story to my husband and son to their delight. I tried doing a french accent but failed miserably at it.

The ink drawings were so charming and reminded me so much of books I read in my childhood that were hand me downs from my sister. It also reminded me of some of the Saturday morning cartoons like the hunka cheese advert...if you grew up in the 70s and 80s you are probably singing it right now.

So now listen to me if you have not read this book GO NOW and read it! If you can't find a copy at your local library you can borrow an e-copy through openlibrary.org. I loved this book so much I'm now determined to find a permanent copy for my collection of children's books.

A solid 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment