Tuesday, June 27, 2017

SOR Picture Book Review: Pig's Eggs by Elizabeth Partridge Illustrated by Martha Weston

Another SOR book found on OpenLibrary.org. I had never heard of this book but found it when I searched for a book with pigs (cause uh, who doesn't love cute little pink piggies?!?).

Pig and Hen are the best of friends and spend most of their time together painting. One day Hen fails to show up and when Pig visits her he finds her sitting on a nest full of eggs. When Hen goes out to get to herself Lunch Pig is bored. But soon he finds a way to entertain himself by painting Hen's eggs. When the eggs hatch the chicks are as colorful as the shells that Pig painted.

Despite the Easter colored eggs this was not an Easter themed book (though it certainly can be used at that time of the year). The illustrations were gorgeous and remind me why watercolors are my favorite type of paintings in picture books. I love that both Hen and Pig have a healthy love of painting and that they bond and connect over it.

I loved that Hen showed she was a protective mother without it being over the top. I also love that in the end Hen and Pig make sure that the little colorful chicks are included in their love of painting. Older generations passing on a love of art and creativity is a positive theme.

4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment